Rahaf, an accomplished linguist providing therapy in both Arabic & English, holds the position of Head of the Allied Department. She earned her Master’s degree in Speech and Language from The University of Jordan and, over the years, has catered to a diverse age range of patients in varied clinical settings. These include a multi-disciplinary rehabilitation centre, a special needs school in UAE, and her private practice in Syria.
In 2012, Rahaf relocated to Dubai after operating her private clinic in Damascus for eight years. Her career progression saw her as a Speech and Language Therapist in a resource and rehabilitation centre before taking on the role of Head of Inclusion in a private school in Dubai. In this position, Rahaf supervised Special Education Teachers, initiated and facilitated personalized training programs, and helped students with special needs. She also developed and monitored Individual Educational Programmes (IEPs) and collaborated with parents of children with Special Education Needs (SEN), advocating for their children’s rights and needs.
Rahaf is also a recognized speaker at several conferences and television programs and a contributor to numerous articles in medical magazines.
Her past roles include:
- Special Education Supervisor, Dubai Modern Education School, Dubai, UAE
- Speech and Language Therapist, Awladouna Center, Sharjah, UAE
- Speech and Language Specialist, Little Village School, Damascus, Syria
- Speech and Language Therapist, Aamal Syrian Organization for the Disabled, Damascus, Syria
Rahaf’s areas of clinical expertise range from children with Neurodevelopment Disorders such as ASD and ADHD to Down’s Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, and GDD victims. Additionally, she treats voice disorders, swallowing issues, adults and children with speech and language difficulties that include different conditions and hearing loss.
Recently, Rahaf completed a training course on The Listening Program by Advanced Brain Technology from the UK, earning the right to function as a TLP provider. She is proficient in the Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS) and Alternative Augmentative Communication (AAC).
Rahaf is PROMPT-certified, a tactile-kinesthetic method to guide patients’ articulators through specific speech modalities. Suitable for a broad range of patients with communication disorders, including Apraxia/Dyspraxia, Dysarthria, Brain injuries, Cerebral Palsy, and Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Rahaf is also credentialed by the International Association of Orofacial Myology (IAOM) and has been an exclusive practitioner of orofacial myology since 2016. This treatment identifies, prevents and treats various disorders affecting facial and oral muscle function for optimized processes like chewing, swallowing and speaking.
In 2017, Rahaf accomplished her training on Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, Second Edition (ADOS-2), an observational assessment tool for Autism Spectrum Disorder. ADOS-2 is a semi-structured, standardized assessment tool aiding in diagnosis, treatment planning, and educational placement by testing various activities and behaviours related to ASD.
- Master in Speech-Language Pathology, University of Jordan and Damascus University, Damascus, Syria
- Postgraduate Diploma in Philosophical and Social Sciences, Damascus University, Damascus, Syria
- Bachelor in Literature, Social Studies Department, University of Damascus, Damascus, Syria
- PROMPT Certified Therapist and Instructor
- Certified by the International Association of Orofacial Myology (IAOM)
- Certified in administering the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS-2)
- Dubai Healthcare City Authority Regulatory (DHCR), Dubai, UAE
Her Clinical Areas of Specialisation
- Children presenting with Neurodevelopment Disorders such as Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders (ADHD) as well as Down’s Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy and Global Developmental Delay (GDD)
- Voice disorders and swallowing
- Children and adults with difficulties in speech and language including articulation errors, phonological processes, stuttering, apraxia, aphasia, stroke, traumatic brain injury, Parkinson
- Hearing loss, cochlear implant, and auditory processing disorder
- Rahaf has recently completed her training on The Listening Program by Advanced Brain Technology from UK with the rights to be a TLP provider. She is also familiar with the Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS) and Alternative Augmentative Communication (AAC).
- Rahaf is a PROMPT certified therapist and instructor. PROMPT is an acronym for Prompts for Restructuring Oral Muscular Phonetic Targets. The technique is a tactile-kinesthetic approach that uses touch cues to a patient’s articulators (jaw, tongue, lips) to manually guide them through a targeted word, phrase or sentence. This technique is appropriate for a wide range of patients with communication disorders such as Apraxia / Dyspraxia, Dysarthria, Brain injuries, Cerebral Palsy and Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- She has also been certified by the International Association of Orofacial Myology (IAOM) and practicing orofacial myology exclusively since 2016. OMT identifies, prevents and treats disorders of muscle function of the face and mouth to optimize complex functions such as chewing, swallowing and speaking.
- In 2017, Rahaf completed her training on ADOS-2. The Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, Second Edition is an observational assessment of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs). It is a semi-structured, standardized assessment of communication, social interaction, play, and restricted and repetitive behaviours. It presents various activities that elicit behaviours directly related to a diagnosis of ASD. By observing and coding these behaviours, therapist can obtain information that informs diagnosis, treatment planning, and educational placement.